This is a full-time role based out of our office in Old Street, London. We can only consider applicants who are able to work 3 days per week from the office.
FX Digital is a leading provider of Connected TV applications for global media and sports video and audio content providers. Made up of a team of over 50 people, FX is experiencing considerable growth in the exciting and evolving Connected TV space. Working with the likes of BBC, Britbox, ITVX, and ATP Media, you’ll be part of a reputable team that develops applications for devices including Android TV, Apple tvOS, Amazon Fire, Samsung Tizen, LG WebOS, and many more.
We are looking for a Head of Engineering to take on the leadership of our well established engineering team of 15 bright and passionate people, who work alongside our equally as excitable Project Management, Product Design, Quality Assurance, and Quality Engineering departments to deliver exceptional solutions for our clients.
In addition to leading the engineering department and coordinating projects, the Head of Engineering (HoE) holds a variety of responsibilities, including strategy and development, task management, people management, relationship management, and self-management and personal development. The HoE will collaborate with the Head of Technology and other departments in the business and work closely with project managers to ensure the effective delivery of engineering responsibilities on projects.
In this role, you’ll be given the autonomy to effect change in the engineering department to ensure the efficient delivery of world leading applications. We value continual improvement in our teams, and whilst our engineering team is highly effective, you’ll be given the opportunity to introduce ongoing improvements to contribute to our continued success.
At FX, we believe in empowering our engineers to be self motivated, driven, and real. Engineers are encouraged to be curious and given the opportunity to make a big impact, no matter what their level of experience or background. We all succeed and fail as a team, and we work hard to ensure the team have everything they need to achieve their best possible work and deliver impact for our valued clients.
- Lead, manage, support, & represent the tech steers (project lead engineers) & engineering manager.
- Oversee and support in project delivery and engineering work for clients of FX, speaking to clients where required to support others and drive project work forwards.
- Define, pilot, and iterate new processes on different projects with the support of the other Heads of Departments, reporting back to the Technology Leadership & Leadership Teams on outcomes.
- Lead and coordinate the engineering department on their journey towards realising the technical vision set by the Head of Technology
- 3+ years of experience leading engineering teams in the delivery of complex applications. (preferably agency side, with experience in nurturing client relationships and cultivating healthy project teams)
- 7+ years of relevant professional experience in the development of complex web applications
- 2+ years of relevant exposure to media technologies such as video, analytics, VMS, IAP, metadata, and authentication
- Experience in mentoring other engineers, taking pleasure from the success of others.
- Experienced in resolving conflict on projects, with exceptional communication skills.
- Ability to balance the needs of the team with the needs of the business and its clients
- A willingness and aptitude to change, with a passion to pick up new tools and processes
- Effective time-management skills
- Ability to articulate complex technical concepts and decisions to those less technical from internal and client teams
- Deep understanding of engineering necessities, including APIs, RESTful APIs, Git, Git Flow, web inspection tools, web profiling, step debugging, and CLI tools (yarn, yarn2, npm).
- Advanced understanding of web architecture, including transfer protocols and the makeup of a browser
- A bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science or related scientific field, e.g. Mathematics, Physics, or demonstrable knowledge in Computer Science if self-taught
- Experience in building web-based Connected TV applications for devices from the likes of Samsung, LG, and Android, and Set Top Boxes from the likes of Sky and Comcast.
- Experience of having worked with large corporate clients
- Experience in unit testing using a modern testing library (e.g. Jest)
- Knowledge of front-end tools, including bundlers such as rollup or webpack and transcompilers such as Babel.
- Some understanding of DevOps and infrastructure tooling (CI/CD), containers (Docker), and cloud management tools such as AWS and Azure.
- Experience with media specific technology, including video/audio players and playback technology, including manifest formats, DRM, and subtitles.
- Competency in multiple programming languages
What we offer
- MacBook Pro on your first day at FX
- Annual profit share distributed equally across all roles and departments
- Pension contributions with Nest pensions
- Generous 35 days of annual leave, including bank holidays and Christmas office shutdown
- Monthly one-on-one Sanctus mental health coaching session
- Optional Vitality Health Insurance with discounted Apple Watch, cinema tickets, and Amazon Prime
- Cycle-to-work scheme with up to 47% savings on a new bike
- Flexi start time between 9am and 10am
- Employee referral scheme
- Regular appraisals for feedback and growth
- Weekly dedicated training time for personal development
- Collaborate with prestigious global brands in media, sports, and entertainment
Unless explicitly requested or approached by FX Digital, the company will not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies, or fee-based recruitment services.
Thanks for taking the time to learn about this role. We just wanted to remind you that even if you think you don’t tick all the boxes in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway — you could still be a perfect fit! And don’t forget to take a look around on our careers page for other opportunities. We can’t wait to hear from you!